Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Tidy-Up Tuesday: The Ultimate Household Cleaning Recipe


I'm not sure of it's my desire for warmer weather or my nesting instincts kicking in, but I have been in cleaning overdrive! My frenzy is even starting to rub off on G.I. Joe! Usually I'd run out to my favorite place...Dollar Tree : ) and load up on chemical cleaners and powders and go to town. But nowadays with a baby boy bun in the oven, ingredients that I can't pronounce are a no-go ( and really should have been a no go all along!). After perusing Pinterest I found a recipe for a, so called, "miracle cleaner" that was made with cheap, easily recognizable ingredients that I could feel good about using! So of course I had to give it as try!


The recipe called for two common household ingredients that I usually have on hand making this little concoction even more appealing! According to the directions you simply mix 1 cup of classic blue Dawn dish soap with 1 cup of white distilled vinegar. I know the combination sounds weird but vinegar has been a trusted cleaning agent for years and blue dawn always seems to work a little magic! So I whipped up a batch, and gave this potion a shot! Guess what?! I loved it! I have since mixed up and used two additional batches. 

Need to clean your shower but dread the idea of scrubbing until your arms are sore? Simply mix up a batch of this cleaner, and spray it on your shower surfaces. Allow the cleaner to sit for 30 minutes or as long as overnight for tough, built up soap scum! After the cleaner has been allowed to sit, simply scrub once, and rinse! Ta-da! No more soapy build up or shower scum!

Not only is this cleaner excellent for showers, it also works wonders on appliances, kitchen counters, sinks, and honestly, just about everything! I will never buy another cleaning product again! I feel good about using this in my home around E and the new baby! My wallet also enjoyed the savings! 


Looking to clean carpet or upholstery in your home or car? Simply add 1 cup of club soda to the magic blue mix. So just to recap, that's 1 cup blue Dawn+ 1 cup white distilled vinegar + 1 cup club soda = blue fabric magic! Simply mix the solution, shake, and spray on the desired area. **Remember to check for color fastness on an inconspicuous area first! Vinegar has bleach like qualities on some fabrics and dyes!** After you've sprayed the area, use a scrub brush or sponge to clean any stains or grime from your carpet/upholstery! E spilled an entire cherry Slurpee a few days ago on our cream colored carpet! I simply sprayed the area with this cleaner, allowed it to soak in, topped with a little baking soda ( for an extra boost of effervescence), scrubbed, and the stain was gone! Seriously, NEVER buying another cleaning product again! Thank you Pinterest, I'll call this one a success!

Next time you feel like welcoming warm weather with a squeaky clean house or just feel like tidying up on a Tuesday, I highly recommend this little blue gem! Try it out for yourself, you won't be disappointed! Happy Tuesday friends!

1 comment:

  1. Works even better if you use the vinegar found in the cleaning section, in my opinion. Love the savings!

    ReplyDelete