Sunday, March 2, 2014

Stock-Up Sunday: Let's get CROCK-in!!!


To say that I love my crockpot might just be an understatement. I mean, if the world were to breakout in a zombie apocalypse, no lies, I would bring my crockpot! That little contraption makes dinner MIRACLES! 
Lately I've been relying on my crockpot to whip up delicious dishes that can double, or even triple the items on my dinner list for the month! My new favorite crockpot miracle recipe is for an unbelievably simple, yet delicious, pulled buffalo chicken! This recipe is so versatile that I make one batch and spread it's buffalo-y goodness across three different recipes! I am so excited to be sharing with you one of my favorite ways to make the most of your time and allow you to "stock-up" your freezer with this awesome 3 in 1 recipe!


Not only is this recipe delicious, it's also budget friendly. With 3 simple, low cost ingredients this is sure to make your family's " hit-list!" For this recipe you need your favorite buffalo wing sauce. I am not partial to any one particular brand and usually opt for the most " budget friendly" option. Today I picked up this Sweet Baby Ray's Buffalo Wing Sauce and Glaze at our commissary for $1.99. You are also going to need a packet of dry ranch dressing mix. I picked up this packet for a mere $0.99! And of course, it wouldn't be buffalo chicken without the chicken. For this 3 in 1 recipe I used three large chicken breasts that totaled around $3.11 when purchased in bulk. In total we ended up spending just $6.09 for this delicious recipe, making it just $2.03 per meal!


Now, are you ready for this?! To whip up this delicious recipe you simply combine your buffalo sauce and ranch seasoning together in the crockpot. Once you've combined the two, simply add your chicken breasts to the sauce mixture and coat well. If you're using fresh, not frozen, chicken breasts simply cook on low for about 2 hours ( more or less depending on your crockpot). If you are using frozen chicken breasts, cook on low for 6-8 hours.


Once your chicken is cooked through, remove each breast from the crockpot and shred, I like to use two forks. Once the chicken is shred to your liking, add the chicken back to the buffalo ranch mixture in the crockpot. 


Continue to cook the shredded chicken mixture for 20-30 minutes on low. This will allow the chicken to absorb most of the delicious buffalo flavor. 

Tonight I plan to serve this pulled buffalo chicken on top of a King's Hawaiian Roll as sliders, served with a side of fries, and steamed veggies. Dinner number one....check!


Now for dinners 2 and 3!! Cool the remaining chicken mixture completely. Once cool, divide the chicken mixture evenly among 2 ziplock freezer bags. For organization's sake, I label my bags with the name of the recipe I plan to use the pulled buffalo chicken in. I also label the bags with the additional ingredients each recipe requires. I then "flat freeze" the individual baggies until I'm ready dinner 2 and 3.

For dinner #2, I plan to whip up a quick and easy Buffalo Chicken Pizza! This meal simply takes minutes to prepare since the time consuming part has already been done! Thaw the pulled buffalo chicken in the refrigerator several hours prior to dinner. Then whip up an easy pizza dough recipe like this one http://allrecipes.com/recipe/20171/quick-and-easy-pizza-crust or you could even pick up a pre-made pizza shell at your local grocery store. Top the dough of your choice with the thawed buffalo chicken, mozzarella cheese, and some crispy bacon bits. Then bake in a 450 degree oven for  15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly! This is a great weekend treat or an easy weeknight indulgence that'll make you and your wallet happy that you stayed in instead of ordering takeout!

For dinner #3, I'm going to use this spicy pulled buffalo chicken to top my favorite loaded buffalo potato skin casserole! Just as with dinner 2, thaw the frozen chicken in the fridge several hours prior to dinner. Then simply wash and cube 2 large potatoes with their peels on. Then toss cubed potatoes in a mixture of wing sauce, garlic powder, olive oil, salt, and pepper (I never measure, I just toss and taste until I get it the way I like it!). Put coated potatoes in a greased glass baking dish and bake in a 500 degree oven for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes. Once potatoes are crispy and brown, top with our pulled buffalo chicken, a mixture of shredded cheddar and mozzarella cheeses, and crispy bacon bits. Return to oven and cook until cheese is melted and chicken is reheated through. This is really delicious served with a side of Bleu cheese or ranch dressing and topped with fresh chopped green onions! Yummy!

This pulled buffalo chicken recipe is so simple, delicious, and versatile that your options are limitless.  This recipe freezes well and is a great addition to many recipes! If you're not a fan of my dinner options, some other ideas for this recipe could include, and are certainly not limited to:

  • Mac and cheese
  • Buffalo chicken dip
  • Nachos
  • Tacos
  • Buffalo chicken salad
  • Or eat it by the spoonful : )
I hope that this Sunday treated you well! Maybe you spent time stocking your freezer like me or stocking up your love tank with family and friends. Either way I hope you start off your week full and fed with all things that make you happy! 









No comments:

Post a Comment