Sunday, October 13, 2013

Sunday Sweet Day

We love sweets in our house! G.I. Joe has the biggest sweet tooth of us all! He won't admit it, but once I caught him eating white sugar, out of the bag with a spoon! If that's not a love for all things sweet and sugary, I don't know what is! I often make pans of brownies or other sweet treats and usually by the end of the day G.I. Joe has, waged and won the brownie battle, if you catch my drift. So when I came across mug cake recipes on Pinterest I was intrigued! These recipes yield single serving cakes, in a variety of flavors, that are ready in minutes right from your microwave. I was excited to give them a shot so we could all enjoy a sweet treat without overdoing it!

I selected a classic yellow cake recipe from http://www.buzzfeed.com/emofly/tips-recipes-microwave-mug-cakes and planned to top it with some ready made chocolate frosting I had in the fridge, one of my favorite combinations.

First, I assembled my ingredients. I planned to make 3 mug cakes, so I doubled the recipe. A doubled recipe requires 4 tablespoons of milk, 2 eggs, 4 tablespoons of unsalted butter, 12 tablespoons of flour, 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract, 1/2 cup of sugar and a pinch of salt.


In a mixing bowl I melted the butter in the microwave, then added in the milk, eggs, sugar, vanilla, and salt and stirred until all ingredients were blended together.

After  mixing together the wet ingredients I added in 12 tablespoons of flour, and stirred until a smooth batter formed.

I then divided the batter evenly amongst 3 mugs that I had previously sprayed with cooking spray.

I then microwaved each mug individually for a minute and a half until the cakes had risen and were firm to the touch.

We allowed each cake to cool and then topped them off with some pre-made frosting and sprinkles.

Final verdict? We enjoyed the flavor of the mug cake, especially topped with the leftover frosting. The consistency was springy and more the texture of a sponge cake than a traditional yellow cake. It was easy to whip up and took very little time or effort. I'm looking forward to trying different mug cake varieties, or mug recipes in general, in the future.

If you, like me, are eager to test out what other types of foods can be created in a mug, check out these 18 recipes at http://www.buzzfeed.com/arielknutson/delicious-snacks-in-a-mug !

Happy Sunday friends! I hope today is a sweet start to the rest of your week!!!








No comments:

Post a Comment